Wednesday, November 9, 2016

I refuse to give in to fear

In the name of my friends and family who are LGBTQ;
In the name of my friends and family who are immigrants;
In the name of my friends and family who are women;
In the name of my friends and family who are disabled;
In the name of my friends and family who are minorities;
In the name of my grandparents who came to these shores as refugees, fleeing the horrors of war, nationalism, and hatred;
In the name of my son who deserves a better world;

I refuse to give in to anger. I refuse to give in to hatred. I refuse to give in to fear.

I resist.

I choose love. I choose community. I choose camaraderie.

To all of my LGBTQ friends and family;
To all of my immigrant friends and family;
To all of my female friends and family;
To all of my disabled friends and family;
To all of my minority friends and family;
To all people, everywhere, who are suffering;

If you need food, I will feed you. If you have fallen, I will give you my hand. If you are bullied, I will stand by your side.

Love makes us strong. Openness makes us strong.

We will all make it through this together.

Remember that our politics swings like a pendulum, but it inclines toward progress. Like an inchworm, it must draw back before it can stretch forward.

We must accept the legitimacy of the recent election. We must have faith in the strength of our institutions and our shared values. We must have faith in the good will of our fellow humans.

Now, it is our work to turn toward our communities and see how we can help each other. It is time to stand together and help each other. It is time to plan for the next four years and the long future beyond that. It is time to build a future that is warmer, more loving, and more inclusive than the past.

Will you reject fear? Will you stand with me in this long struggle?

No comments:

Post a Comment